Saturday, July 9, 2011

Vicious Beastiality

Pics by Aodan Higgins
With the cyclocross season fast approachng, some of the Vicious Velo odd-squad have been racing at Beastway, the mid-week MTB race series at Hog Hill. Paul Sheers started it all, then last week I started, and this week, Ben and Claire joined the fun.
At one point this week we had a Vicious Velo chaingang battering round the course, with us all on different types of bike, Wacky Races style: Paul on a lightweight carbon XC race bike, me on a steel singlespeed and Benji on his cross bike complete with tubs and canti brakes.
In the end Paul and Claire punctured out, guttingly for Claire whilst leading the women's race. Me and Ben still managed to win at least three categories: first singlespeed, first baggy shorts and first cross bike.
Only one of those categories is actually counted by the judges (first singlespeed) but the moral victory of the other two unoffical categories is reward enough.
With any luck we can persuade Vicous Kev, PsycheDelia Beddis, Birdy, Matt Hinshelwood and Gary Lingard to join our ranks before the end of the season. They haven't got long — last race at the end of July. Boo!

1 comment:

  1. Turns out I had a lap lead. So when I punctured I only completed 6 laps and I was still ahead. So I was given 1st Sport Women and a prize

    ReplyDelete